The spread of smart cards with its different forms used in many fields which are Persistent, protected storage, processing power, and Packaging. In this article, we will explain each field uses smart cards and the applications of it.
Applications of Smart Cards
Because of the smart card used in many fields, we will present the field and applications of smart card that is used in it.
Works and activates it through the organization where it is used to access the products and services provided by the institution as well as used in the management of user accounts centrally by using smart cards as follow:
- Logical access Used to store passwords, public key infrastructure certificates, seed files for one time, biometric image templates, as well as generate asymmetric key pairs. It also provides all authentication factors in one smart card.
- Physical access Used in support of new control and communication technologies or non-contact chip technology. It enables organizations to implement new functions while accommodating legacy systems as they may be required.
Smart cards used also in financial fields with this following applications:
- EMV Credit and Debit Payment Used in the management, promotion, and maintenance of Integrated Circuit Card specifications and the use of payment system worldwide and also develops and manages new functionality required by the market.
- Contactless Credit and Debit Payment It is a method of payment that does not require direct dealing or contact between the consumer and the point of sale. Contactless payments using NFC-enabled mobile devices started with Google Wallet.
- Contactless Payment with NFC-Enabled Mobile Devices Due to the widespread use of mobile phones, it has become an important means of electronic payment for products purchased from points of sale.
- Electronic Purse It is an electronic wallet used for POS payment and used for low-value transactions. Electronic purse implementations are octopus card, oyster card, NETs cash card, and Moneo.
There are many types of smart cards used by the government as follow:
- EPassport contains an embedded contactless smart card chip. The chip is used to store biographic data on the passport; once unlocked, the data can be displayed on a screen at passport control.
- DHS These smart cards would allow first responders from across the region the ability to quickly and easily access government buildings and reservations in the event of a terrorist attack or another disaster.
- HSPD-12, FIPS 201 and the PIV Card Both Federal agencies and enterprises have implemented FIPS 201-compliant ID programs and have issued PIV cards. The FIPS 201 PIV card is a smart card with both contact and contactless interfaces that are now being issued to all Federal employees and contractors.
- Federal Government Smart Card Programs Countries around the world use smart cards for secure identity, payment, and healthcare applications. Public corporations use smart employee ID cards to secure access to physical facilities and computer systems and networks.
Smart health cards can improve the security and privacy of patient information, provide the secure carrier for portable medical records, reduce healthcare fraud, support new processes for portable medical records, provide secure access to emergency medical information, enable compliance with government initiatives and mandates, and provide the platform to implement other applications as needed by the healthcare organization.
Also, smart cards used in an identity card as:
- Identity Applications Countries around the world use smart cards for secure identity applications. Both government organizations and public corporations use smart employee ID cards to secure access to physical facilities and computer systems and networks.
- Identity in Cyberspace because of problems of identity management, privacy, and security. Smart card technology enables strong multi-factor authentication on the Internet.
Internet of Things (IoT)
As we know, IoT is a network of devices which allows devices to connect, interact and exchange data. Smart cards used in IoT as follow: Healthcare, smart city, consumer electronics, industrial, payments, and numerous other verticals are developing services that rely on an IoT infrastructure.
Embedded hardware security, among other embedded security techniques, can protect the “identity” of each device, to prevent unauthorized tampering with how these devices are designed to work and to protect the privacy and security of the vast amount of data the devices generate.
Smart cards used in the telecommunications industry worldwide. Application of it in telecommunication are:
- SIMs and UICCs it is a type of microcontroller-based smart card used in mobile phones and other devices. UICC is a new generation of SIM technology optimized for newer wireless network standards.
- Pay Phones to improve customer convenience and telecommunications operators’ business models smart cards used.
- NFC-Enabled Mobile Applications allows data to be exchanged between devices that are a few centimeters apart. It used to Making payments, storing tickets, and storing personal information.
Smart cards are used worldwide in transportation applications such as:
- Smart Cards and Transit all transit fare payment systems use contactless smart cards as the primary ticket medium.
- Smart Cards and Parking contact smart card-based programs, transit agencies using contactless smart cards for fare payment are expanding the use of the card to pay for parking.