Self Learning is an emerging form of learning that has emerged due to the availability of learning resources online. Self-learning enables you to learn what you want when you want, and how you want. You drive the learning process and this tends to be more effective that instructional learning. self-directed learning describes a process in which individuals take the initiative, with or without the help of others, in diagnosing their learning needs, formulating learning goals, identifying human and material resources for learning, choosing and implementing appropriate learning. the individual can aim to learn a little bit about everything, or they can work hard toward mastering a single subject. Either way, it is the act of taking your learning into your control. It is this drive to further yourself which ultimately leads to success on a personal and financial level.
Advantages of Self Learning
Self learning can be quite useful for those who do not have the time to enroll in formal courses and degrees as well as for those who cannot travel to a specific location to educate themselves. There are many advantages of self-learning we will discuss as follow.
- you can choose your own pace, materials, methods, everything is up to you.
- you are less stressed out about failing in front of another person.
- you don’t pay the teacher.
- is neither location constrained nor time-bound, and all that is needed is access to a computer and a reliable internet connection to engage in self-learning.
- can take place from the comfort of anywhere as well as the luxury of any time means that it is quite valuable for those who are location or time constrained.
- It’s cheap or free.
- You set the pace.
- You can do it at any time.
- You get better at doing it.
Disadvantages of Self Learning
Working in teams increases collaboration and allows brainstorming. As a result, more ideas are developed and productivity improves. Two or more people are always better than one for solving problems, finishing off difficult tasks and increasing creativity.Teamwork encourages communication between team members. Although it has many advantages, it has many disadvantages. we will discuss as follow.
- No self-discipline.
- No face-to-face interaction.
- Lack of flexibility.
- Lack of input from trainers.
- Slow evolution.
- Good e-learning is difficult to do.
- Lack of transformational power.
- No peripheral benefits.